Thursday, August 18, 2011

Conan Interviews With Screenwriter Sean Hood

(Sean Hood being me... sorry to write about myself in the third person)

Edit 10/12/2011 - Perhaps the most widely read piece I wrote about Conan turned out to be:

What is it like to have your film flop at the box office?

So I thought I'd tally up some of the interviews I've done that have come out regarding Conan The Barbarian. For those who are sick of reading about Conan, I also talk about Blackwell, a grim psychological thriller with feisty female protagonist, and Rambo: Last Stand, a grim action-thriller with feisty, and far better known, male protagonist.  These Interviews just came out today:
Previous interviews
Long Answers to Specific Questions:


Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sean, sad to see this movie flopping at the box office, especially since you put so much effort into it.

From what I hear though, they butchered what you wrote, and from the final product it sure as hell shows.

Shame we probably won't be seeing a sequel, like you, I too have been writing a Conan script (it so happens it was also based on QOTBC, coincidental I can assure you), but I am now wondering if I should even bother finishing it and sending it in.

Ah well, I am looking forward to your future projects, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us. And who knows, maybe one day we will end up working on a project together! Take care mate.

-Mat L. Freitas

Kike said...

It was not your fault. Even the people that really hate this film (like myself) know that your work was good.

I wish you luck in your future projects.

Bulu said...

I was a huge fan of the REH stories. When I saw the first pictures from this movie (Momoa as Conan, awesome set pieces), I was convinced it would rock.

I hated all the people who were saying this was a stupid idea, because to me it seemed so awesome.

So then I went and saw the movie last thursday. And amazingly, I left agreeing with the skeptics. Why? I had a few issues with the story.

For one, the child Conan was annoying and unrealistic. A child taking down four tribal warriors, really? Ridiculous.

Not to mention all the fight scenes, just thrown in for the hell of it. The fight on the ship is one. Out of nowhere yet another fight, after we've just watched 15 minutes of straight fighting in the ruins of the fortress. Then everyone cheers and it moves on to another scene without connection, rhyme or reason.

That being said, it didn't deserve to do so badly. I hoped Momoa would be catapulted into the A list with this film.

Whoever markets this movie did a poor job. The reason this is doing so bad is because ITS NOT BEING SHOWED ANYWHERE OVERSEAS. I'm in Australia and they're showing this 2 times a day (the afternoon only), at MAJOR cinemas around the country. Whereas movies like Cowboys and Aliens get 10 screenings a day. Lionsgate obviously didn't want this movie to make money overseas.